CyberPolicy is monitoring news of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and has activated a business continuity plan in response to the situation. We have implemented precautionary and preparedness measures to reduce exposure to the coronavirus and are prepared to maintain normal business operations.

Auto Insurance Protocol For The Soon-to-be-moving

So you’re starting a new adventure and moving to a new state. It’s all at once exciting, momentous and scary. As you sort through your wares, deciding what to throw away and what to keep (wondering to yourself how you’ve accumulated so much stuff), you’re worried you won’t be prepared for everything come moving time.

You’ve already signed the lease on your new place and learned the start date of your new job. You’ll have just enough time to settle in before meeting your new colleagues. That’s it, right? There isn’t anything else to prepare for, is there? Even when it seems we’ve taken care of everything, there is still more to do.

When you move to a new state, you are required by law to get an auto insurance policy that satisfies your new state’s auto insurance carrying requirements. To find the best car insurance quotes in your new state, use CoverHound.

Do I Need to Get New Coverage?

Before you move, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) suggests that you contact your current insurance provider and tell them about your impending move across state lines. In some instances, (with carriers like Allstate, Farmers and Progressive) you will get to keep your current policy. This will be because your insurance provider offers the same services in the state you’re moving to. But keep in mind that not all states have the same auto insurance carrying laws. While some states may require to carry auto liability insurance, others may require you to carry personal injury protection (PIP) and uninsured/underinsured motorist protection in addition, according to the Insurance Information Institute (III). Check your state’s car insurance laws before making the switch. But remember, only make the switch after you move. Driving without insurance can get you ticketed and raise your premium.

What Happens if I Just Use My Current Coverage?

A majority of states require their licensed, practicing motorists to have an insurance policy issued from their state. This means if you’re moving from California to Kansas, you’ll need to get a Texas car insurance policy within 30-90 days of having moved there. As alluded to above, car insurance laws are mandated by the state, this means the coverage that worked in California may not be applicable in Kansas. If you are found to not have the correct auto insurance coverage, not only will you be fined, but you’ll also be held financially responsible for a traffic accident in which you have been found at fault.

Will My Monthly Insurance Premium Change?

As a policy holder, you already understand that there are many factors that can affect your insurance premium. According to the IB Times, our car insurance premiums are the second-most expensive part of vehicle ownership in the United States. Because every state in the U.S. analyzes their insurance needs differently, what you’re charged in California doesn’t necessarily correlate to what you will be charged in Kansas, especially if one of the state’s demands more insurance than the other. Factors like weather, neighborhood and your driving record all influence the price of your monthly premium.

At CoverHound we do everything we can to get you an insurance quote you’ll be happy with. Click here to start gathering your quotes before your big move today.

Insurance shopping simplified

Review personalized quotes, select coverages, and buy online - Everything insurance, all-in-one-place.

Insurance shopping simplified

Review personalized quotes, select coverages, and buy online - Everything insurance, all-in-one-place.

Insurance shopping simplified

Review personalized quotes, select coverages, and buy online - Everything insurance, all-in-one-place.
call (866) 278-7881
call (866) 278-7881
© 2010 - CoverHound LLC - All rights reserved.
PO Box 9070, Carlsbad, CA. 92018-9070
CoverHound© is a trademark of CoverHound LLC
DBA: CoverHound Insurance Solutions - CA License
No. 6005304